A governance team can destroy more value in five minutes than a project team can destroy in five weeks.
Poorly understood, poorly supported and poorly executed it is not surprising that more projects fail due to poor project governance than poor project management.
Yet while we invest millions in project management we invest next to nothing in project governance. Project Governance has been neglected.
Even getting people to agree what ‘project governance’ is, is a challenge.
Governance support materials are sparse and usually superficial. Not helped by executives insisting they only want “the questions I need to ask,” not understanding they need much more to be effective.
So, after 20 plus years in project governance roles and over 12 years teaching, coaching and supporting executives in governance, I have put together all of the Project Governance resources that you need.
Here at TOP, we believe that executives in project governance roles and those who are accountable for project governance performance in their organizations need resources that make it easy for you to:
- confirm your understanding of project governance,
- build you personal competency in a governance role or
- develop your organization’s governance capability.
For example, we provide you
- Charters, checklists and cheat-sheets (Tools and templates)
- Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Short videos on how to deal with specific topics – such as “What to do if your project goes red” (Education Programs)
- Short guides on how to assess business cases, govern risk and more than 20 other topics (Guides)
- Practical frameworks that explain why projects fail, plus others that change how projects are viewed, approached and delivered (Frameworks)
- Articles on project governance – topic specific (eg How to champion your project) and some story based (eg Death by 1000 cuts) (Topics)
- Lessons to be learned – such as The Tale of Two Projects – that shows how easy it is to in good faith oversee a failure and what good project governance (and project delivery) looks like. (Topics)
- Easy-to-read books on important topics such as getting the best out of consultants – Consultants.CON (Topics).
And, for those accountable for project governance in their organizations, the Center also includes
- Comprehensive terms of reference for each role (Tools and templates)
- How to plan a project governance education program, and more (Guides).